Once a year, the UK comes together to help spring clean our beautiful countryside during The Great British Spring Clean.
Find out what this initiative is, when it’s happening this year, and how you can get involved.
What is The Great British Spring Clean?
This is a fantastic initiative created by Keep Britain Tidy. They are an independent charity with the aim of keeping Britain free from litter, reducing the amount of waste the country produces, and improving the look of our wonderful locations around Britain.
The goal of The Great British Spring Clean is to get as many people involved as possible in cleaning up litter from their local areas. This can be on beaches, in parks and just in your own street. It runs for several days, and anyone can pledge to be a volunteer.
Why take part in a Great British Spring Clean?
There are so many reasons why you should sign up to this UK spring clean initiative.
- each year thousands of tons of litter is collecting during this week by volunteers. Ordinarily, this litter may have just stayed there and accumulate lots of extra slime and grime at the same time
- where possible, the waste collected is then recycled, which is of course great for the environment too
- it improves the look of the places close to you
- the joint effort and volunteering in general gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment
- clearing up litter also helps the UK’s wildlife, who can get trapped, injured and worse in litter left lying around
When is the Great British Spring Clean?
In 2021, the event takes place from 28 May to 13 June.
How can you get involved?
You can pledge to sign up on the Keep Britain Tidy website. There is the option to pledge to litter pick on your own, or as part of a group. Schools can also sign up as part of the Great Big School Clean.
You pledge to litter pick for a certain number of hours, so that Keep Britain Tidy can record the joint efforts of everyone involved.
When you sign up, you get lots of advice on how to do it, what to do with the litter you collect, and how to report your results.
Getting involved is such a wonderful thing to do for your local outdoor spaces and for yourself as an individual. Not only will your local area look better and wildlife be safer, you will also feel great for getting involved. Show some love for your local area and pledge to be a litter picker today!