Cornwall is perfect for a romantic getaway, and these are the best places to visit in Cornwall for couples.
With its postcard-worthy beaches, charming villages, and scenic trails, Cornwall is a dream destination for couples looking to get away. As a child my family and I used to vacation down in Fowey in Cornwall. I’d since been back to go to the Daphne du Maurier festival when I was in my early 20s, and was so keen to return.
However my partner had never been, so for a couple’s break we decided to take a trip to Cornwall to spend a few days there traveling to lots of different towns, villages and other romantic spots around the county.
Fortunately blessed with amazing weather for January throughout the trip, we went to some of the most beautiful places to visit in Cornwall. I’m sharing our favorite spots in Cornwall to help fellow couples plan an idyllic getaway.
From sampling Cornwall’s fresh seafood to meandering the winding alleyways of ancient harbor towns, this scenic peninsula makes for an unforgettable romantic trip. Follow our Cornwall couple’s guide for an inside look at the destinations, activities, and sights you won’t want to miss. By the end, you and your partner will be dreaming up your own romantic rendezvous in beautiful Cornwall.
Whether you prefer finding hidden coves, visiting historic sites, or just relaxing by the seaside, Cornwall has something for every couple. Here are the very best places to visit in Cornwall for couples.
Of course, there’s no place like St Ives. It’s a very charming seaside town, perfect for romantic strolls, with scenic beaches, galleries, and lots of restaurants.
St Ives really has the wow factor when you drive in. I forgot that Cornwall has a lot of palm trees, which remind me of my beloved Lanzarote. St Ives is a gorgeous town with a beautiful sandy beach.
The narrow streets are packed full of restaurants, cafes, shops and hotels. Even in the depths of January it had a bustling atmosphere. Lots of Cornwall ‘shuts down’ during the winter, and it was definitely an extremely quiet time to visit.
Many shops and restaurants are closed for the off-peak season, so I don’t recommend going in January and February unless you really do want peace and quiet. We happen to love it, so really enjoyed visiting at this time, and it really is one of the most romantic places in Cornwall if you ask me.
St Ives is an extremely beautiful town, well worth a visit at any time of year. The roads are so narrow, so I don’t recommend driving around them. There is a train which brings you in on the St Ives Bay Line, so I recommend that you check this out before considering trying to park in the town.
Here are some suggested activities and things to do in St Ives for couples:
- Stroll around The Island (not actually an island but a scenic peninsula jutting out into the sea)
- Explore the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Relax on Porthmeor Beach
- Take a pottery class at the Leach Pottery
- Sail around the bay and take in the sights by boat
- Check out the Tate St Ives, a renowned art gallery
- Hike to Knill’s Monument, a 5 meter high granite obelisk
- Feast on fresh fish and shellfish at harbor restaurants
- Roam the charming narrow streets and browse shops and cafes (a really lovely thing to do hand in hand!)
- Watch the sunset from Porthminster Beach
With its beautiful setting, arts, and culture, St Ives makes for a lovely couples’ getaway. It’s such a pretty town, with so much to see and explore, and I think it’s one of the best places to visit in Cornwall for couples if you love restaurants, shops and scenery in one.
I had heard so much about this little fishing village that I just had to see it in person. In January it is a very sleepy little village. Mousehole (pronounced Mowzal) has the most beautiful harbor, with grounded boats when the tide is out.
Mousehole has a tradition of really going all out on its Christmas lights in the harbour. We could see the remnants of these from Christmas, and I could imagine that they looked spectacular in December.
This would be a lovely place to go for a summer retreat, away from it all.
Mousehole is the perfect place for a low key getaway with your partner. It’s a very traditional Cornish village with so much character.
Some of the main attractions in Mousehole for couples include:
- An evening stroll hand-in-hand along the harbor as the sun sets, looking over at St Clement’s Isle
- See the coastline and wildlife by taking a scenic boat trip
- Check out the local art galleries filled with paintings and pottery
- Visit a fish and chip shop for a local treat
- Charming cobblestone streets and cottages to wander around
With its idyllic harbor setting, Mousehole makes for a quaint, quiet and romantic escape.
Since we were driving around the coast of Cornwall we stopped at Land’s End. I had been there before on a very windy day, and was relieved that this day was calm! The sea was beautifully blue and, despite everything being shut (in January), you can still walk around the coastline.
The hotel there looked lovely, and must be a welcome sight for the ‘Enders’ who arrive from John O’Groats.
There are a number of attractions there and it would be easy to spend some time there finding out about the area.
Land’s End is a great option to visit for a day or two as a couple, as there’s lots to see and do. It’s a very iconic spot in the British Isles and worth seeing.
Things to do as a couple at Land’s End:
- Take couple photos at the famous Land’s End signpost
- Hike to the First and Last House for some real Cornish ice cream and stunning views
- Explore all the fun attractions on the site like minigolf
- Take a picnic and enjoy the outstanding views of the majestic Atlantic Ocean
- Visit the 4D movie theater
With plenty of activities, entertainment, and spectacular scenery, Land’s End offers fun ways for couples to enjoy a memorable day out. There are some excellent photo opportunities and the dramatic coastline is perfect for a (very windy!) coastal walk.
Fowey (pronounced ‘Foy’) really is one of my favourite places. I have some very fond memories of playing on the beach at Readymoney Cove (below) with my brothers. My mum had a friend who owned a B&B, and we’d visit fairly often as children to see them and stay at their guesthouse.
Sean was blown away and thought it was one of the prettiest towns he had ever seen in the UK. This small town is an excellent place for a couple’s getaway to Cornwall. In fact, I would say it’s the ideal location as it really does have some very romantic sea views, walks and plenty of things to do.
The town looks out over the Fowey Estuary inlet to the village of Polruan, and there is a ferry that runs between the two. These photos really do not do the beauty of this area of South Cornwall justice. On sunny days the sea is so blue, and the scenic views here are just unreal.
The Fowey Festival of Arts and Literature, which used to be called the Daphne du Maurier Festival (the author herself used to live there), takes place in the town every year. The festival is a very busy time for the town, with lots of talks, bands and other events over those few days. You’ll need to book early if you want to attend, as it’s very popular and the accommodation and talks sell out quickly.
Fowey has some of the most gorgeous homes, with balconies and patios that overlook the sparkling blue water. It also has beautiful hotels, restaurants and shops.
It’s top of our list to visit again this year, as I really do think it’s one of the most romantic places for a couple to visit in Cornwall.
Here are some romantic ideas for couples visiting Fowey in Cornwall:
- Walk hand-in-hand along the Fowey Esplanade to see the beautiful pastel-colored houses
- Take a river cruise to see the whole of the estuary
- Unwind in a traditional Cornish guest house
- Picnic in Readymoney Cove, a small sheltered and sandy beach
- See the golden hour light up the estuary by watching the sunset together
- Explore Fowey’s many hidden alleys and shops. There are so many pretty and quirky gift shops
- Hike to St Catherine’s Castle on the coastline
- Hike to Gribbin Head
- Visit one of the many nearby National Trust properties
With picturesque settings and activities, Fowey is great for a romantic couples’ getaway and (in my opinion at least) one of the best towns in the whole of Cornwall.
On the coast of North Cornwall, Tintagel is a great spot for a short break if you love history, legends and dramatic scenery.
Perched on the windswept northern coast, the ruins of Tintagel Castle capture the imagination because they are steeped in Arthurian legend. Exploring this medieval site together allows you to vividly picture King Arthur’s Cornwall.
You can wander the castle ruins hand-in-hand, taking in the striking sea views as you envision knights and ladies roaming here centuries ago. It’s a very unique place if you ask me, and one of the best things to see on the north coast of Cornwall.
After your castle tour, you can explore Tintagel’s charming village with its quaint cottages, cozy pubs, and coastal trails.
Tintagel offers the perfect blend of history, fantastical lore, and natural beauty for couples.
Here are some of our favorite activities to do as a couple at Tintagel:
- Tour the castle ruins and read about Arthurian legends
- Cross the rickety Castle bridge to walk over the rocky landscape
- Browse King Arthur souvenirs and gifts in town. There are so many independent gift shops to spend time in
- Visit the beautiful beach at Trebarwith Strand
- Marvel at Merlin’s Cave down the coast. This is a cave underneath the castle which has plenty of legends of its own
- Take a walk through Rocky Valley, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) to see waterfalls and more epic Cornish scenery
With its timeless enchantment, Tintagel is one of the best places to visit in Cornwall for couples. If you and your partner love history and atmospheric granite cliffs then Tintagel is your perfect destination.
Another popular place for a romantic couple’s getaway is Mawgan Porth. With its stunning beach and quaint seaside charm, Mawgan Porth is an ideal getaway for couples looking to relax and recharge.
The beautiful sandy beach is perfect for long romantic walks hand-in-hand, especially at sunset when the clouds turn pink across the sky. There are also lots of restaurants, pubs and cafes where you can eat local seafood and other Cornish specialities. Many couples choose to stay in one of the charming B&Bs nestled above the beach, waking up to the sound of the ocean outside their window.
Top things for couples to do in Mawgan Porth:
- Take a sunset stroll on the award-winning beach
- Enjoy a candlelit dinner at a local restaurant
- Get couple’s surf lessons or paddleboarding lessons
- Get couples spa treatments at one of the local spas
- Take the 4 mile Mawgan Porth to St Mawgan Circular Walk together
With its peaceful atmosphere, simple pleasures, and beautiful surroundings, Mawgan Porth is a wonderful place for couples to enjoy quality time together. The laidback vibe and wide open spaces make it easy to relax and focus on each other.
With its quaint fishing village charm and breathtaking coastal views, Mevagissey is one of the most romantic places in Cornwall. Wander hand-in-hand through the narrow twisting streets lined with colorful cottages. Pop into the cute independent shops and art galleries before finding a waterfront cafe to stop for coffee or a romantic lunch.
In the evenings, stroll down to the harbor as the boats return with their fresh catch. The sunset over the sea makes for a beautiful backdrop as you find a restaurant for dinner.
Mevagissey has excellent seafood restaurants where you can enjoy delicious, freshly prepared fish while taking in the sights and sounds of the harbor. It’s a peaceful place to visit, and the perfect spot for a quiet trip with your partner.
Top things for couples to do in Mevagissey:
- Take a trip to the nearby Lost Gardens of Heligan, an ancient estate with beautiful productive gardens
- Stop for coffee and cake at a cliffside cafe
- Browse the galleries and shops together
- Enjoy a romantic sunset harborview dinner
- Go for coastal walks hand-in-hand
- Relax at your accommodation and listen to the sea
- Take a boat trip to spot seals and other marine life
- Take a short drive to the historic Charlestown Harbor
With its quaint seaside charm, abundance of romantic dining options, and opportunities to relax amidst natural beauty, Mevagissey offers an idyllic couples escape. It’s also really close to some popular places for a day trip out from Mevagissey itself.
These are just a few of the best places to visit in Cornwall for couples. There are lots more, but you can’t go wrong with any popular destination from this list. Cornwall has a bit of everything; beautiful beaches, turquoise waters, waterfalls and rock pools, beautiful gardens and water sports. Not to mention some delicious Cornish food and treats.
There are plenty of places for a romantic stroll with your partner so it’s the ideal place for a couple’s getaway.
You may also love:
Frequently asked questions
Cornwall is a perfect place for couples. With its breathtaking coastal scenery, quaint villages, abundance of romantic activities like scenic boat rides and cozy pubs, and plethora of quality accommodation, Cornwall provides an idyllic atmosphere and everything required for an unforgettable romantic trip.
While you could spend weeks exploring Cornwall and never run out of things to see and do, 5-7 days allows ample time to visit most of the highlights at a comfortable pace and see its beautiful coastline and popular destinations.
While Cornwall offers scenic beauty spring through autumn, the best months weather-wise are May, June and September when tourist crowds are smaller, prices are lower, sunshine is plentiful yet gentle, and flower blooms decorate the landscapes.
- How To Make Your Room Cozy & Aesthetic: 6 Easy Tricks - September 20, 2023
- 140+ Advent Calendar Filler Ideas For Adults & Kids - September 20, 2023
- 10 Affordable MAC Spice Lip Liner Dupes in 2023 - September 14, 2023